CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Mon., 2/16 Garry Morse  (Read 4403 times)

magus

Mon., 2/16 Garry Morse
« on: February 16, 2015, 09:07:18 AM »
THEME:   phrases ending in ZZ ["ZZ Bottom"?]

GOOD ONES:    
FUZZ, JAZZ, FIZZ, BUZZ and even ZSA ZSA   

BTW:   
AUGER and rasp made me feel at home.   

RATING: :D   
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

Thomps2525

Re: Mon., 2/16 Garry Morse
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 04:07:56 PM »
I was thinking there was no theme to today's crossword until I started filling in the "double-Z" words. The most difficult letters to include in a puzzle are J, Q, X and Z. Occasionally a crossword creator will include all four in a puzzle but I don't know if the inclusion is by choice or if it just worked out that way. Today's crossword had words with two Zs. Has anyone ever crafted a puzzle with words and phrases containing two Js, two Qs or two Xs? Here are some possible answers:

For J: JOJO, JUMANJI, JUJUBES, JIMJORDAN, JESSEJAMES, JIUJITSU, JAMBAJUICE.
For X: EXXON, EXLAX, FIXX, EXECUTRIX, TEXMEX, XERXES, NICKISIXX, AOXOMOXOA (Santana album title).
For Q: Ummm.......well, there's QUELQUECHOSE but that's French.....so.....ummm.....

Thomps2525

Re: Mon., 2/16 Garry Morse
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 05:22:25 PM »
I apologize to all the "Deadheads" out there. I said AOXOMOXOA was a Santana album. It was a 1969 album by the Grateful Dead. The title was merely a palindrome and didn't mean anything. I confused it with Santana's 1970 album Abraxas, which was titled after an Ancient Greek word loosely meaning "lord" or "ruler."