CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Tue., 2/10 Kevin Christian  (Read 5306 times)

magus

Tue., 2/10 Kevin Christian
« on: February 10, 2015, 08:59:16 AM »
THEME:   three computer terms including AND

GOOD ONES:     
none   

BTW:   
Am I wrong or was this the easiest puzzle ever?  It was certainly among the most boring, and I do not believe it is due to the constructor.  The policy of Mon./Tue. throw-aways, in an attempt to be inclusive, is probably exclusive.  This may be my last early-in-the-week entry.   

RATING: :'(   
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

Thomps2525

Re: Tue., 2/10 Kevin Christian
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 04:39:06 PM »
Mister magus, I know you do not like the crossword answer ELHI, referring to school grades K through 12. I don't like it either. It is not a word and it never appears anywhere outside of crossword puzzles. Today's puzzle included TELCO, for "AT&T, briefly." I'm guessing that TELCO is another word that we will never see anywhere except in a crossword puzzle.

Occasionally a puzzle creator will wind up with a combination of letters that do not make a word but he keeps them because, overall, the puzzle is well-crafted and clever and it would be too difficult to change that particular section of the grid. He then has to find a clue which makes sense. Unfortunately for those of us who object to ELHI, that answer now appears in puzzles quite often. I'm guessing we haven't seen the last of TELCO either.

rbe

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 10:08:03 PM »
I see TELCO used in business news. According to Merriam-Webster, the definition is: a telecommunications company. First known use 1975. 

Thomps2525

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 03:17:41 PM »
In that case, I hereby declare CROPU to be a legitimate word meaning "crossword puzzle." :)

rbe

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 05:26:14 PM »
Not the same at all. Telco IS a word for telecommunication companies. I found it in 14 different on-line dictionaries. I couldn't find one dictionary that listed Cropu.  ::)

Thomps2525

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 03:52:59 PM »
I made up the word CROPU. It's short for "crossword puzzle." If we can accept
"J-Lo" for Jennifer Lopez, "A-Rod" for Alex Rodriguez and "telco" for telephone company, then I can declare "cropu" to be a legitimate word.

I like the scene in Disney's Saving Mr. Banks movie where Robert and Richard Sherman are singing a song they wrote for  the film adaptation of P.L. Travers'
book Mary Poppins. When they get to the word "responstible," Travers objects. "Responstible is not a word." "We made it up." "Well, un-make it up!"