CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Crossword Compiler Instability  (Read 8632 times)

DukeTheReader

Crossword Compiler Instability
« on: January 22, 2015, 02:07:34 PM »
Win 7 64 bit.  I've had CC for several months without issues.  The program became unusable this morning, grossly unstable.  I would like to uninstall and reinstall it without losing all the laboriously edited word lists.  Any suggestions?

stickler

Re: Crossword Compiler Instability
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 11:34:22 PM »
In my 25 years of IT experience programs don't just "become unstable". I've used CC since its inception and never had any problems. I would look at any changes that have happened around the same time (new/upgraded programs), changes to Windows settings etc - change to another program is the most likely cause.
If you want to reinstall, access the Word List manager in CC and select "Files" on the menu bar. You can open the files in Windows Explorer and save them somewhere - there's also a backup option. Take note of where these files are (the Clue DBs are accessible from the level up if you want to save them too). If you want to do this outside of CC then the files (on my XP machine) are here:
C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\Crossword Compiler 9
It'll be somewhere similar on Win7.

Hope that helps.

Stickler

Get free professional international cryptics from:
www.stickler.com.au

mmcbs

Re: Crossword Compiler Instability
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 12:55:09 PM »
I would just like to add to Stickler's good advice that I have had a few problems with Crossword Compiler and have found that the customer support has been very good - quick response to emails. Be sure you try that if you continue to have troubles.
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/