CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Wed., 1/7 Gareth Bain  (Read 3891 times)

magus

Wed., 1/7 Gareth Bain
« on: January 07, 2015, 09:25:13 AM »
THEME:   last word of phrase can be a Pope's name

GOOD ONES:     
Religious leader {& theme}   POPE   
Book of legends?   ATLAS   
Miner issue   ORE [not minor]   

BTW:   
"LOVE Will Keep Us Together" apparently didn't as they recently divorced.   

Adds to a conversation, as a remark   INJECTS [I believe but do not know that injects is a corruption of "interjects."]   

RATING:    ;D ;D
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

Thomps2525

Re: Wed., 1/7 Gareth Bain
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 03:37:39 PM »
"Country star with an un-countrylike name" was KEITHURBAN. A clever clue! And I was unfamiliar with HOPPINJOHN, a southern dish made with black-eyed peas. A recipe from Emeril Lagasse is on the Food Network's website: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/hoppin-john-recipe.html

"Starts a revolution" was UPRISES. I had never heard "uprise" used in reference to a revolution. Until today's crossword, it apparently had not. According to the Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary, "uprising" dates from the 13th century and is "a usually localized act of popular defiance usually of an established government." The verb "uprise" dates from the 14th century and is defined as "to rise to a higher position; to stand up; to get out of bed; to come into view, esp. from below the horizon." Those participating in a revolution rise up; they do not "uprise."