CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Sat., 9/27 Mark Bickham  (Read 3383 times)

magus

Sat., 9/27 Mark Bickham
« on: September 27, 2014, 10:08:08 AM »
THEME:   none

GOOD ONES:    
Place to pick up some pets   NAPE   
What you once were   THEE   

BTW:   
Makes a decision   ACTS [I thought OPTS since to decide is not to act but to plan to act]   

Two baseball clues [SHAGS and HEATER] abutting each other seems rather unsporting, so to speak.   

Six Z's in the grid is a rarity.   

This one was a challenge and was fun, but it really needed a theme.   

RATING:    ;D ;D
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

Thomps2525

Re: Sat., 9/27 Mark Bickham
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 06:36:29 PM »
Okay, I admit it---I'm overly critical. I will keep my complaints of today's puzzle to just one: the inclusion of CLI for "10% of MDX." Motion pictures and tv shows use Roman numerals for the copyright year so when they're shown overseas many years later, audiences won't be so likely to notice how old the films are. I have no idea why the Olympics and Super Bowl games use Roman numerals instead of simple numbers. But I don't like seeing Roman numerals in crosswords. Roman numerals are not only foreign, they're ancient---they go back to the 8th century BC.

I liked the cluing of MARCEAU as "Only actor to speak in Mel Brooks' Silent Movie." In that 1976 film, Brooks played a washed-up producer who hoped to make a comeback by filming a successful silent movie. Yes, Silent Movie was a silent movie about the filming of a silent movie. It did have music, though. And it had what is one of the most clever gags in movie history: Brooks phoned several actors to ask if they'd like to appear in his silent film and one of them was Marcel Marceau, a world-renowned mime, who exclaimed "No!" as he slammed the phone down. It was the only word spoken in the movie. Classic!