CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Fri., 8/22 Tom McCoy  (Read 5545 times)

magus

Fri., 8/22 Tom McCoy
« on: August 22, 2014, 09:46:36 AM »
THEME:   four 15-letter phrases meaning MERCURY

GOOD ONES:    
Clue for {theme answers}  MERCURY [needed to be determined before tackling the theme]   
Paul McCartney title   SIR [not a song]   

BTW:   
"Wicked!"   SWEET ["Bad!": isn't it odd that opposites are equalized in slang]   

Wow! There were four W's today.  Wonder when we'll see that anew.    

I can't understand why there are so many references to Star Wars and Star Trek in LA Times puzzles.  I know they are a part of our pop culture, but AW C'MON, gimme a break; I never saw either and I always struggle.  And speaking of pop culture, who the hell is AKON and what was LAFF-A-Lympics?  (at least I heard of Freddie Mercury)   

RATING:  ;D ;D   
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

Thomps2525

Re: Fri., 8/22 Tom McCoy
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 04:15:06 PM »
Akon is an r&b singer whose real name is Allaune Thiam. He's Muslim but I have no idea what "Akon" means---and Akon won't say. His hits include Lonely, Locked Up, Don't Matter and I Wanna Love You. Laff-A-Lympics was a 1977 Saturday morning cartoon show which featured dozens of Hanna-Barbera characters competing in Olympics-style events.

The Random House Puzzle Makers Handbook has several suggestions for "polishing" a puzzle. Among them: don't use a lot of words ending with S, change frequently occurring letters to less common letters, eliminate abbreviations and partial phrases, and avoid foreign words and variant spellings. Today's New York Times puzzle includes NYS (for New York State), OSH (as in Oshkosh), AAHED (as the past tense of AAH, which isn't really a verb), and FRAIDSO (a colloquialism). The puzzle maker settled for those four answers instead of making an effort to come up with legitimate words. Sloppy!

magus

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 09:18:04 AM »
LARR---

Thanks for taking the time to provide answers to my questions on pop culture, but I'm crushed that you ignored my second comment.  :'(

Thomps2525

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 04:14:28 PM »
I didn't deliberately ignore your comment. I, too, have never seen Star Wars or Star Trek. I have absolutely no interest in science fiction...although I like the Star Tours attraction at Disneyland. It's only because of crossword puzzles that I now know who SULU, TAKEI and UHURA are.

magus

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 09:20:53 AM »
That was the third comment.  The second comment begins with Wow!  ---  guess I should've underlined the W's.

Thomps2525

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 03:12:05 PM »
I didn't notice that at first. From now on, I will try to be less woebegone and world-weary and more watchful when I wildly wend my way to www.cruciverb.com. Will that serve you well?