CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: NYT puzzle submission  (Read 5290 times)

pucks1968

NYT puzzle submission
« on: May 30, 2014, 08:22:51 AM »
Hello all.  This is my first post.  I have a question relating to the cross-referencing of puzzle answers. 
For example, let's say the answer to 12-down is "Jerry", and my clue is a SEINFELD reference.  Then, later in the puzzle, I have "Tom" as an answer.  Can I say, "Nemesis of 12-down" for my clue?  Or, since I referenced SEINFELD, it prohibits me from such a clue?

Also, when submitting to Will Shortz, is he OK with a couple of possible clues for an answer?  Or, do you just send him your very best one? Thank you.

worldofcrosswords

• Global Moderator
Re: NYT puzzle submission
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 04:33:53 PM »
Or, since I referenced SEINFELD, it prohibits me from such a clue?

JMHO: I would feel that since the clue referenced Seinfeld, cross-referencing a different entry would only work if the clue were related to Seinfeld as well.

For example:
1A JERRY - "Comedian with a sit-com"
12D GEORGE - "Friend of 1A"

I don't know the answer to your question about alternate clues for Will Shortz.
Try the weekly crossword at http://worldofcrosswords.com/

jorkel

Re: NYT puzzle submission
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 09:16:39 AM »
It's fine to send alternate clues with NYT puzzle submissions.  Just separate them with a slash "/".

(...Almost completely unrelated to the clues themselves, Will likes a broad empty space in the middle of the clue page so he can write in his edits.  So as long as your clues aren't encroaching on that, you should be fine).

-Joe K.