CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Question about rebuses  (Read 4719 times)

Rich in Atlanta

Question about rebuses
« on: June 02, 2014, 09:01:16 AM »
I'm trying to put together a fairly straightforward rebus puzzle, where the rebus is just a single word. I've looked through previous rebus puzzles on Xword Info and note that some of them place entries symmetrically and some don't, and I'm wondering what the 'rules' or standards are in this regard. In particular, I noted an April 26, 2012 puzzle by Julian Lim which is very similar to what I'm trying to do and is not at all symmetrical.

I have two main issues. One is that I could place the entries symmetrically, but I would have to substitute some less than stellar entries for much better ones and I really don't want to do that.

The second issue, and the one I'm really hung up on, is that I have a pretty good 15 letter entry with the rebus as the last square. I can make that work if it's the fifteen right across the middle of the puzzle, but then I have another rebus-based entry on the right crossing it but no matching one on the left.

For some reason I lean towards thinking that that might be more acceptable if it was the central down cross rather than the across, but it's just as asymmetrical either way.

Any advice or information is appreciated.

jorkel

Re: Question about rebuses
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 09:54:43 AM »
I was going to suggest a way to get the 15-letter entry into a symmetrical puzzle, but it's a little more complicated than I first thought;  If you placed that entry as the central Down entry in a grid with Left-Right symmetry, the problem would be solved except for the new pesky problem that the adjacent Down entries would also have to be 15 letters long.  Not optimal.

-Joe K.