Forum > General Discussion

Use of the same word as noun and part of adjective?

(1/2) > >>

cranberry44:
I know that one is not supposed to use the same word twice unless it has a different meaning. But is it acceptable to use the same word
if the word stands alone (and is a noun) in one entry (e.g., "Buy one today") but is hyphenated (as part of an adjective)
in another entry (e.g., "one-armed" --answer for "Type of bandit")? (I'm finishing up my 21X21 puzzle and
this kind of thing would finish it nicely.)

mmcbs:
I would say no. The only words that are allowed to be repeated (by most but not all editors) are the so-called "small" words, such as IN AT OF A I TO. In my opinion these should even be avoided if possible for the cleanest possible fill.

j88keys:
I would say it's fine- especially in a 21x and especially if the words are not right next to one another in the grid... ONE doesn't strike me as an ugly dupe.

mmcbs:
Adding one other point. Just because a word has two different meanings (BEAR, RING) doesn't mean you can repeat it in the grid.

cranberry44:
Thanks to you both for answering:

Re: j88keys reply: Sometimes I wonder when it's acceptable to "break the rules." More than once, I've seen two difficult words cross
in NYT puzzle; and Rex Parker has commented on this too.

Re: mmcbs: I fixed it to be on the safe side. I don't understand the mention of "bear" and "ring" in re: the same word with
different meanings question.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version