Forum > General Discussion

profanity

<< < (2/2)

carly940:
I am new to this forum, but I couldn't help reading this thread about profanity.  I personally don't believe it belongs in crosswords, movies, literature, or anywhere. No I am not a prude, I believe in using the intelligence God gave you.  There are great works of art that using profanity is a part of the story line, not used for the shock factor. 

stevejohn:
I think it all comes down to the enjoyment of the solver. I'm sure a majority of crossword solvers would not be happy about profanity in a puzzle. Thus, a vast majority of the puzzles out there do not use it. I'm a 22 year old guy. I use profanity when talking with my friends. It's used in the movies and TV shows I watch. It doesn't offend me at all. When I find an R-rated crossword, I find it enjoyable. Part of it comes from it being a little subversive.

Even if it offends you, look at the upside. Younger people reading the Onion find the crossword and see clues that relate to them. (Profanity aside, the clues are a little more modern.) Once they realize they have a thing for crosswords, they'll go the gold standards like The NY Times. The AV club crosswords might not be for everyone, but I think the more the merrier. I'd see a reason for complaint if newspapers started featuring profanity laced crosswords, but that's not the case. Nothing is being replaced, constructors are just adding new puzzles for a different group of solvers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version