Forum > General Discussion

Clue feedback

<< < (2/3) > >>

zinaphile:
Good suggestions, but [Bandits' fortes] or [Bandits' deeds] are what I'm looking at for thematic reasons. I just want to make sure I'm being fair to the solver (I should've made that clearer). So the question is, as a solver what would your reaction be to each of those clues? Would one or both leave you grumbling? Would they lead you to HOLDUPS (perhaps needing a couple of crosses)?

axlrosen:
I would be fine with either one, no grumbling here. I'm sure I'd need a couple of crosses but that's fine.

Wheels12:
I like "deeds" (or "acts" or other synonyms) better than "fortes." I'm nitpicking here but I think a holdup is not necessarily what a bandit is good at. It's just how he makes a living.

I don't think of a bandit as someone who breaks and enters. That, to me, is a burglar. When I hear "bandit" I think of someone sticking up a train or covered wagon. Again, just my two cents.

zinaphile:
Yeah, you're right, "deeds" is more on point. But "fortes" works a bit better thematically. One of those trade offs that always vex me - not experienced enough to be confident in my judgement.

cranberry44:
Whoops! My mistake. In my mind, I was thinking "burglar" instead of "bandit." So I agree "bandit" should be OK.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version