Forum > General Discussion

ideas for a planet-themed rebus puzzle

<< < (2/2)

tgray:
Here's one more:  MAKE(SATURN)AROUND (11)

admin:

--- Quote from: ebirnholz on August 02, 2010, 01:14:13 PM --- I personally think fitting in other planets would make the overall puzzle stronger.

--- End quote ---

I agree. Go with the planet idea, but not necessarily small. Yep, SATURN has a number of possibilities, as does MARS. I won't discuss URANUS.  :D

ebirnholz:
Saturn is probably a better planet to use than either Venus or Pluto, although I'm hoping to get an entry that uses either 10, 13 or 14 squares.  What do people think of FORCE[SATURN]OVER (10 squares)?  The clue could be "Plays good defense, say."

ABajcz:
I really like this theme idea. I also like the simple SMALLWORLD as the cross-reference (I like anything that can be clued in quotes--"What a coincidence!")...I think FORCE(SATURN)OVER is Grade A, as is DONTF(EARTH)EREAPER. My problem with THURGOOD(MARS)HALL is that it's not as 'hidden' as the other answers so far. What about GRAM(MARS)CHOOL (10)? Seems like something ending in ARSON or ARSENAL could also work.

As for the other planets...Hmm
MERCURY, JUPITER, and NEPTUNE are out

VENUS...All I can think of is stuff like HAVEYOUFORGI(VENUS) (13) and YOUVEGI(VENUS)HOPE (12)...which aren't the greatest...

URANUS seems like it could be possible, but all I can think of is DURAND(URANUS)HER (10) :P...Q(URANUS)AGE (5)? :D

As for Pluto, I still would consider it a "world," though it is not a planet. It's your call, but it doesn't break apart very well...Good luck!

fungi1995:
Note that there have been published puzzles like this in the past: http://xwordinfo.com/Crossword?date=4/20/2008&g=131&d=D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version