Forum > Software / Technical

Downloadable dictionary for constructing?

<< < (2/2)

Rex McCright:
Thanks for posting everyone. I'm pretty much hobbying with Crossfire at this point, and I've found the wordlist to be lacking. This thread helps a lot!

cyberLOT:
I tried to load the Cruciverb word list on Crossfire on a Windows 10 PC. The Crossfire manual does not provide clear documentation.

The problem: The Cruciverb word list is a text file (xxx.txt). Crossfire requires it to be xxx.dict.

Apparently, the content of files with .txt and .dict are interchangeable. The workaround is to change the file extension from .txt to .dict. This can be done in File Explorer*.

After changing the file extension to .dict: In Crossfire, Dictionary, Add, then browse to the newly named xxx.dict file and press Add. The xxx.dict file will be added to the dictionary.

Hope this helps other novices like me!

*(Note: the file extension name may be hidden. If so: Control Panel, Appearance & Personalization, Folder Options, View, File & Folders, Show hidden files, folders & drives)

axlrosen:
In the Crossword Puzzle Collaboration Directory group on Facebook, is a version of Peter Broda's list that's been substantially trimmed of cruft. That might be the best free list.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1515117638602016/files

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version