CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: SF Chronicle Sunday Magazine 08/01/2010 - Merl's Word-O-Rama  (Read 6783 times)

notyou

SF Chronicle Sunday Magazine 08/01/2010 - Merl's Word-O-Rama
« on: August 05, 2010, 01:28:49 PM »
Hi all --

I infrequently pick-up the San Francisco Chronicle Sunday Magazine when we're at breakfast joint that has a copy or my parents' house.

The inside-back-page features "Merl Reagle's Word-O-Rama".  On at least two occasions the puzzle there was the same as the one in the Philadelphia Inquirer, but this past week it appears it was a "locals-only" puzzle that included a contest about the meta.  To wit:

http://www.sundaycrosswords.com/MYSECRETVACATION.htm

A friend and I could not ferret out the secret puzzle.  Did anybody else, and can you clue us in?  If you think it'd be ok, I can post the grid, for folks who aren't local to the Bay Area.

On a related note, does anybody know the schedule of these "local-only" puzzles?  Maybe I should have my parents start saving the magazine for me.

Norm451

Re: SF Chronicle Sunday Magazine 08/01/2010 - Merl's Word-O-Rama
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 04:16:02 PM »
Sorry, I recycled my paper already or I'd take a shot at it.  Didn't know the paper sometimes had different ones.  Thanks for the tip.  Just imagine, a weekend with two Merl puzzles!  What a treat.

notyou

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 05:42:30 PM »
Well, not sure how often Word-O-Rama runs, but ah, yes, the Philly/syndicated version is in the back of the Pink Section (Datebook).

Norm451

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 08:13:23 PM »
Found a copy.  Contest is over, so I assume it's okay to post.  The cities are Dallas, Seattle, El Paso, and Oakland -- running counter-clockwise (on the diagonal) from the D in EDNA at 78A.  Cute.  I assume the airline was Southwest. 

notyou

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 04:08:42 PM »
Oh darn, should've checked here first.  Well, I Litzed it, in case anybody else wanted to give the puzzle a try too:  http://www.rudebadmood.com/wordorama.20100801.puz