User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Google Ads

Author Topic: Fading fast  (Read 5404 times)

sonofagun

Fading fast
« on: January 16, 2009, 11:32:28 PM »
The States Puzzle Project broke out of the gate like a thoroughbred and now it's gasping for air in the first turn like a mudder on it's last legs.

Is this project dyin' on the vine, or is there a ray of sunshine I'm not feeling? It's obvious that any discussion about this project has come to a dead halt. Why?

I've the feeling our genuine enthusiasm for the project has run smack dab into a huge problem that has been there since day one. We're leaderless, whether by committee or individual. Until that's solved there is no second step.

Any ideas?    Jerome

Garison Piatt

• Garison Piatt's Puzzle Kingdom
Re: Fading fast
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 03:59:10 PM »
It's obvious that any discussion about this project has come to a dead halt. Why?

Because it moved to this forum.  The surest way to kill any public mailing-list discussion is to assign it to a private forum.

-garison

admin

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 06:48:48 PM »
Because it moved to this forum.  The surest way to kill any public mailing-list discussion is to assign it to a private forum.
-garison

C-L is more "private" than this forum. And there are many very successful web forums. I participate in several, regularly. Thousands of posts. Great interaction.

I think that the project does need a champion. There isn't one, and that's the crux of it. We don't need "fading fast" messages, we need "Ok, let's get it together" messages.

I can set up a states @ cruciverb.com mailing list.

One thing I can't do is allow 60-70 messages per day about a particular subject on C-L and witness many long-time subscribers leave because they can't take it.

- Kevin

« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 10:22:19 PM by Kevin McCann »

sonofagun

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 01:24:44 AM »
"We don't need 'fading fast' messages"

I thought the purpose of the forum was to generate ideas, thoughts and opinions about the States Puzzle project. I wrote the 'fading fast' post in the hopes it would spur some responses about how to move forward. As one of many who supported this project from the get go I was concerned that interest in it was, in fact, fading fast. Awkward and negative as my words may have seemed, they were written in a sincere desire to keep discussion about the project alive.

Sorry, Kevin, but I think as site administrator it is dangerous territory for you to publicly castigate one for posting an honest opinion.

Jerome

admin

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 10:22:16 AM »
I wasn't castigating. I was expressing my opinion that the best way to keep things moving is to think positively. I obviously came across negatively. I apologize.

In any case, do you think this is a technology issue or a people issue? I'm willing to provide whatever tools that are necessary to support the State Puzzles or any other crossword-related project. What I cannot do, because I don't have the time, is provide amy leadership on the project. Someone else will have to do that.

Maybe Roy would be willing if I moved this to a mailing list.

- Kevin

Garison Piatt

• Garison Piatt's Puzzle Kingdom
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 11:18:46 AM »
In any case, do you think this is a technology issue or a people issue?

A combination of the two.  On the people side, we have those like Roy -- and myself, in fact -- who are too busy to regularly patrol a forum for new postings.

The technology should cover that, by notifying people of new posts.  Understanding this, when the forum was created, I immediately visited, and set the notify flag on both the entire group and the individual messages which were present at that time.

After a week went by with no notices, I visited the forum, and lo and behold, there we new messages I was never told about.  Seems that in addition to clicking the notify button, one has to go into one's profile and change the default notification type to "Replies and Moderation".  If, after 36 years of programming computers, I was unable to see this immediately, there is no hope for the casual PC or Mac user.

This is why I said that private (as in, reserved for a particular topic, as opposed to restricted admission) forums kill discussions.  Consider it this way: if two furniture stores are equal on all counts -- price, selection, service, etc. -- but one delivers and the other doesn't, where will you buy your next sofa?

-garison

sonofagun

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 03:07:34 PM »
I'm perfectly fine with the way you've set up the forum to discuss the puzzle project. It seems to be more of a "people issue", or more precisely, a lack of people participating.

I'll gladly be a rank and file worker on this project and help in any way I'm asked.
However, on a project like this I'm thoroughly unqualified for a major role.

Directing this effort may be a perfect fit for a retiree... yes...no? Someone with a puzzle biz backround that would enjoy the challenge and its possible rewards. Fame and fortune not among them :-)

Jerome

Mike Peluso

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 02:06:31 AM »
I think I may have already said this, but Kevin, and a few others, have accurately identified that the solution needs to be one person, who's highly qualified and experienced (in both constructing and editing) and has plenty of time and connections. And this person will have to say, "I am planning to edit and publish a crossword book featuring puzzles from each of the 50 states. I am soliciting puzzles from constructors who wish to construct a puzzle from their state. The parameters of the puzzles are as follows: (insert editor's policies and restrictions here). If interested contact me." If this person's policies are in line with yours, submit your puzzle. If not, don't bother. It's the only way this will ever get done. Fifty constructors all wanting their own way just won't work. I really wish I had enough constructing experience along with any editing experience, because if I did, I'd seriously consider doing it.

By the way, I've completed and filed away my Washington puzzle, just in case that person comes along.

Mike