CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: What is your favorite dictionary or crossword reference  (Read 7110 times)

oldmopar

What is your favorite dictionary or crossword reference
« on: April 02, 2010, 03:20:32 PM »
I am beginning puzzler having retired a few years back I recently began doing crosswords to keep my brain alive. I do mostly easy and medium as they are the most fun for me.
I know there are many computer sites to find answers but I like to turn off the computer, tv and stuff like that and just relax and do some puzzles.
 This site looks like its visited by people who know crossword puzzles so my question is which are the best reference books for a beginner
 Thanks

jorkel

Re: What is your favorite dictionary or crossword reference
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 11:22:27 PM »
This website is directed more toward crossword constructors than crossword solvers -- so many of our references would be different -- but I could still address your question as it relates to the solving side of crosswords.  Many solvers seem to be able to find just about every answer required by using Google.  That's probably their main go-to resource because it is so reliable.  However, if you stipulate that you want to solve puzzles with the computer turned off, then your standard desk-reference items would come in handy: any comprehensive dictionary, a synonym dictionary (thesaurus), an almanac for sports references, and maybe an encyclopedia for classical references.  (Also, let's not discount one's own life experience as a resource in itself).  What I'm suggesting is that the best designed crosswords contain subject matter from across the board, and no single reference will contain all of what you need to complete them.

-Joe Krozel
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 11:26:48 PM by jorkel »