Forum > Book Releases

Welcome to the Books Board

I'll be posting Patrick Jordan's monthly book calendar here. If you know of other books coming out, fill us in. Also, if you really like a book and highly recommend it, let us know about it here.

Are we allowed to mention a website if the mention constitutes free advertising? Oh, what the heck---it's Christmastime. I'll take a chance. Barnes & Noble is offering 52 different crossword puzzle books. They're "buy two, get one free" and there is no shipping charge on orders of at least $25. No dates are shown but I'm guessing this sale is good only through Christmas.

I've often commented on the clever themes and clever clues in Merl Reagle's Sunday Crosswords which appear in the Los Angeles Times on Sunday. Since it's called a "Sunday Crossword," it makes perfect sense that it would appear on Sunday, right? Anyway, his puzzles have been released in several volumes of books titled---of course---Sunday Crosswords. One hundred twenty of those puzzles have been repackaged in two new books titled The Best Of Sunday Crosswords., Volume 1 was released on October 1, 2014, and Volume 2 came out on April 1, 2015.

Four months after commenting on two books of Merl Reagle's Sunday crosswords, I now have to report the sad news that Reagle died August 22, two days after being diagnosed with acute pancreatitis and slipping into a coma. He was 65. Another collection of his puzzles, Merl Reagle's 100th Anniversary Crossword Book, was published in 2013, a hundred years after the first crossword puzzle appeared in the New York World:

[0] Message Index

Go to full version