CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: LAT Mon. 1/25 Susan Miskimins  (Read 4130 times)

magus

LAT Mon. 1/25 Susan Miskimins
« on: January 25, 2010, 09:50:33 AM »
 :(
Condiment in 51-Across    SEL [I'd go with the Mercedes-Benz line]
Land surrounded by agua   ISLA [I'd use Isla Mujeres, Mexico]

:o
Just when I had pretty much decided to stop doing Monday and Tuesday puzzles for their tedium, I came across a word new to me: LEATHERLUNGED.
As I filled in 21-Down LARIATS, it occurred to me that the term "lariat" probably came from la reata, which settlers heard Mexicans use in the Southwest.  I looked it up and it does, but it was a kick figuring it out for myself.  So easy puzzles are still teachers.

???
I'm not sure why Mon. & Tue. puzzles are devoid of any cleverness whatever.  It is obvious that a clever twist in a clue for an easy word does not have to make the puzzle too hard for neophytes [for 64-Across BEST, instead of "Cream of the crop" go with "Man kind" or if that's too hard "Friend or man type"].  Given the difficulty level of the late week offerings, the same people who solve them must be bored by the early ones.  Of course I'm not an editor, so I don't get the feedback, etc., but I'd love to know why the LAT seems to cut off a large segment of its solvers when a little creativity could be more inclusive?  Perhaps those who like to see how fast they can solve puzzles may appreciate the easy ones, but that's just a guess; they can, after all, time themselves regardless of the pause it may take to answer a more creative entry.