CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Theme question  (Read 8431 times)

TheSplenda

Theme question
« on: December 16, 2009, 09:25:56 AM »
I have an idea for a puzzle (or even a series of puzzles).

As an example, there would be one long theme "answer" (i.e. ONETERMPRESIDENT) and then different clues would be scattered throughout the puzzle (BUSH, ADAMS, CARTER, TAFT, HAYES, etc.). The shorter entries would be clued so they didn't relate to the president. (i.e. BUSH = Flammable Biblical foliage). And the clue for the long answer would be something like "What 11 down, 17 across, 29 down... have in common?"

Is this the type of puzzle that could be consistently sold? Would they be considered themed or unthemed?

Alex Boisvert

Re: Theme question
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 10:14:23 PM »
Hey, Splenda.

I think you'd be better off making the last names of those presidents into phrases, like
THE CLEVELAND SHOW
BEAT AROUND THE BUSH
PIERCE BROSNAN

etc.  You might have a better chance getting an acceptance that way. 

As a general rule, you want the theme phrases to be fresh and lively, and one-word entries don't really fit that bill.

Good luck!

jorkel

Re: Theme question
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 03:43:42 PM »
I mostly agree with Alex.  It doesn't involve that much word play  -- and the word play it has doesn't point distinctively to the unifying entry.

(Incidentally, ONETERMPRESIDENT is 16 letters, but it could still fit on a 16x15 grid and be submitted as a daily puzzle).

-Joe Krozel