User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Google Ads

Author Topic: Learning How To Construct Grids  (Read 41 times)

Glenn9999

• Common Solver, New Constructor
Learning How To Construct Grids
« on: April 25, 2016, 07:04:47 PM »
I am interested in getting some questions answered about how to construct a crossword grid now, after getting into solving them for a year or two now.   Presently, I have not located any references that answer my questions. 

Are there any good accessible references in mind that specifically answer laying out a grid in a good way to facilitate fill, how to determine or help whether fill is possible, or any rule of thumb on how to best create fill?  I feel I made a good first try, but ran into problems that took a whole weekend to try to work out that I couldn't do it too well trying to fit a "interesting" word or two in and ended up with several boring words in the whole grid (cue Wah Wah horn).  And if I can't find other words in the grid that I'd be excited to see...

Also, what makes a "good theme"?  I came up with a good basic one to do this learning grid off of, but hopefully for what I do, I hope to find something that's as exciting to me as some of those fill words I like to see.

But the main thing is if I'm going to do it, I need to learn how to do it correctly.  And in that sense, have at least the chance of being published.

So, any suggestions?