CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Theme hint entry  (Read 7868 times)

EdS

Theme hint entry
« on: October 21, 2009, 03:00:17 PM »
I'm working on a four entry themed puzzle in which the first word of each entry has a common name associated with each. With some thought I think most if not all solvers can come up with the connecting theme. Is it usually preferable to include say a "pointer" entry eg. in the SE and would you feel most editors would expect that type of entry (it would be a 5-letter word). I'd rather do without it as it makes for a nicer grid fill and allows for some solver's thought, but am not sure.
Thanks in advance for any replies.
Ed

phil_m99

Re: Theme hint entry
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 06:16:24 PM »
It's better to have the helper, because it could be a deal-breaker if the editor doesn't think the theme is obvious after the solve.  Generally helpers are in the South, and Southeast seems to be preferable. 
"I tell you, we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different." - Kurt Vonnegut

max104

Re: Theme hint entry
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 06:01:59 PM »
If you use the helper entry, be sure to mention to the editor that you've included it. I've also noted some alternate fill for the SE section in the event a helper wasn't preferred. Depending on your helper entry, changing a couple letters could provide a quick fix.