CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Deep links  (Read 16965 times)

Ephraim Vishniac

Deep links
« on: November 10, 2008, 10:11:53 PM »
Hi Kevin,

I maintain a page of daily & weekly crossword links at http://www.vishniac.com/ephraim/puzzle-pointers.html.  With the old Cruciverb.com, links to LAT puzzles were headed off at Cruciverb's login page.  Logging in brought you to a page with a link for the requested puzzle. 

Now with the new Cruciverb.com deep links for LAT puzzles just get Permission Denied even though they're identical in form to the URLs within the site.  It would be ideal if this worked like the NYT puzzles, which you can download directly as long as you're logged in at nytimes.com, but even the old status quo would be better than the new situation.  Is there some alternative form of the URLs that works for linking from outside the site?  Or would it take work on your part to fix this up?

Thanks,
Ephraim

admin

• Administrator
Re: Deep links
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 11:40:58 AM »
I'm not sure what might be going on. If you are logged into the cruciverb site you should be able to download the puzzle. I'll look into it. In the meantime you may have to just point people to the LAT archive.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 11:46:16 AM by Kevin McCann »

Ephraim Vishniac

Re: Deep links - you've disallowed them
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 09:23:58 AM »
Hi Kevin,

I asked a friend to actually understands http to take a look.  His analysis is that cruciverb.com only allows puzzle downloading when the referer (the page holding the puzzle link) is inside cruciverb.com.  He was able to download puzzles from outside the site by forging the referer, but you can't do that with an ordinary link in a browser.  This is a preference that you've set (or inherited) in your web server configuration.  If you meant to do that, then I'll give up on the individual puzzle links and just point people at the site.  If it's accidental, it would be very nice of you to change it.

So far as I can see, the archive at latimes.com is only for the Flash puzzles.  I'd really rather link to the .puz files because that's what I use myself.  Am I mistaken?  Is there another archive with latimes .puz files?

Thanks,
Ephraim