CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: LAT Sun. 1/1 Gia Christian  (Read 5315 times)

magus

LAT Sun. 1/1 Gia Christian
« on: January 01, 2012, 09:32:25 AM »
January First

Village celebrity?  IDIOT
Theme: Intrusive J…
“Ode on a Grecian Urn” genre?   JARSPOETICA
Halloween carving of a Yankee hero?   PUMPKINJETER

8) “January First” title suits the day, of course, but June and July would fit the theme as well.

???
H.S. proficiency tests   GEDS  [last week I had the same question: isn’t the GED the diploma, the test being the “GED test”]

Comfort food…  [do I hate the term because all food is comforting, it is a New Age coinage for fattening food, or because I’m simply disagreeable?]

:(
Suffix with access   ORY [really not a suffix --- merely the rest of the word from what was a suffix in Latin]
ETRE
OJOS

RATING:   ;D [for a Sunday] Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = No fun

:-\ Seems that either I or the LAT is not off to a great start this year.

rbe

Re: LAT Sun. 1/1 Gia Christian
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 01:50:29 PM »
Chaise Longue? Shouldn't that be Lounge?

worldofcrosswords

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 08:30:04 PM »
"all food is comforting" - I disagree; how about anchovies or okra? Not comforting to me in any case!
Try the weekly crossword at http://worldofcrosswords.com/

magus

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 09:04:12 AM »
RBE: 
That is a correct spelling except I can't remember seeing it spelt [spelled] that way.

WORLDOFCROSSWORDS:
I hate anchovies also, but my parents loved them; and I would imagine to someone who is hungry they would be comforting, even to us --- well, I'd have to be starving.

Anthony

DrewE

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 08:42:46 PM »
How is a stave a "barrel support"—wouldn't that be the part of the barrel that the hoops support?  I might have clued it as "musical piece?" although that's perhaps a bit too clever.

Chaise longue comes from the French ("Long chair"), though my dictionary also lists chaise lounge as having gained acceptance, presumably through long misuse.

magus

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 09:12:52 AM »
DrewE---

Not sure what's clever about stave in music (or poetry), but I do agree that the staves are essentially the barrel.  Would walls be considered the house support?  We'll have to consult the Miller Analogy Test constructors.