User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Google Ads

Author Topic: End of the world?  (Read 1202 times)

Jack R. Lewis

End of the world?
« on: January 07, 2012, 08:13:53 AM »
Well, not quite the end of the world, but -

Have you noticed that Across Lite has fallen out of favor with puzzle publishers? I used to be that there were an average of three puzzles a day - now it's down to two. and I won't pay for the privilege of working the NYTimes (especially at their prices).

On that note, what used to be the epitome of journalistic standards has fallen to the level of a second-rate rag - I speak of the New York Times. Spelling, grammar, attention to detail in both print and electronic realms - honestly, our local (county) newspaper does a better job of writing, editing and managing their people, data and website. The end of the world, indeed...

Just my opinion, worth every penny (not) spent to post it...  ;D

worldofcrosswords

• Global Moderator
    • World of Crosswords
Re: End of the world?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 11:13:29 AM »
Jack, I hadn't noticed the thing about Across Lite. However, it's no surprise. Litsoft (makers of Across Lite) was acquired last year - see http://icrossword.com/blog/?p=173. If you read that blog, it's understandable why the use of the software may be tapering off.

Spelling, grammar, attention to detail in both print and electronic realms

This appears to be the case to me too. I chalk it up to "too much content" being generated and insufficient editorial resources. I suspect it happened with the advent of online media. The NY Times and other traditional media sources just can't afford (literally) to be as careful as they used to be. People won't pay for it.

As your paper grows, at some point you have to make the decision: do we curtail growth in order to maintain quality, or do we cut corners and proceed to grow? Seems like the bottom line always wins.

Your local newspaper may do a better job, but it's probably also a more manageable one (presumably with filler content from AP and the like?).

Marya
Try the weekly crossword at http://worldofcrosswords.com/

Jack R. Lewis

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 06:01:29 AM »
Actually, the local "rag" is almost all local content (and a few ads) run by local people who remember what English language grammar and syntax are, for example:

"Shined" is a past-tense verb, meaning "gave a polished look to"; "shone" is a past-tense verb meaning "gave off light".

When the NYT switched from human editing to Microsoft Word's grammar checker, "shone" became "shined" - and just another example of how our language has continued to disintegrate into an amorphous goo. I'm (not!) just waiting for English to emulate Mandarin, with a complete lack of tense or gender, depending on context to "make it all clear".  ::) Oh, the joy...

BradleyRobbins

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 07:26:45 PM »
No one cared until you shoned a light on the subject!  :o

My grammar is far from exemplar, but I try. However, I suspect that the the assertion that the increase in content and lack of editorial resources is correct.  Unfortunately, it seems that a reasonable growth rate is unacceptable for a company today (unless perhaps it is privately owned), and the steps taken to maintain a profit growth level that is acceptable to investors causes more reduction of quality  (and a host of other ills) than it does to foster innovation or responsibility.

Brad

worldofcrosswords

• Global Moderator
    • World of Crosswords
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 09:19:54 AM »
BradleyRobbins,

Unfortunately, it seems that a reasonable growth rate is unacceptable for a company today (unless perhaps it is privately owned)

I think you're so correct. The NY Times is a public company. The goal of the managers is not so much to maintain a quality product - it is above all else to increase shareholder value (including their own shares). If that means sacrificing quality, so be it.

However, according to wiki, the NY Times has been public since 1967. I've only noticed problems in the last 10 years or so. Perhaps this is when fierce competition from other media sources (and a push for ever higher returns?) led to the sacrifice of quality.

Marya

Wordworker

• Email
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 05:54:44 PM »
If you read regularly across the web, the NYT isn't the only place with errors in grammer. It's everywhere, even here.
Randy

worldofcrosswords

• Global Moderator
    • World of Crosswords
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 03:39:58 PM »
If you read regularly across the web, the NYT isn't the only place with errors in grammer. It's everywhere, even here.

Sure, but there is a big difference between a forum post and an article in the NY Times. The NY Times offers paid content, has high editorial standards, and employs professional editors for the purpose of maintaining those standards (which appear to be slipping lately).

Marya

SJS

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 11:24:16 AM »

grammar.

;)

Jack R. Lewis

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 08:39:40 PM »
So, randwool rather proves the point, eh?  ;D