CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Acrostics  (Read 22033 times)

rosemarina

Acrostics
« on: June 04, 2009, 10:22:15 AM »
Hello to all, I've just joined.  My creds - had a puzzle in the Sunday NYT.  I actually prefer designing acrostics, and I published them for many years in a scientific journal.  I joined this site to see what resources are available here for acrostic-makers, - but there aren't any!  I can't find anything in this entire forum when I search on "Acrostic" .  I'd like recommendations for software, buyers and prices, sympathy, etc. Do y'all have something against acrostics?

ktd

Re: Acrostics
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 08:09:08 PM »
My guess is there's a more limited market for acrostics. I've only ever seen them in the NY Times every other Sunday, and they're always written by Emily Cox and Henry Rathvon.

But...there's a scientific journal that publishes acrostics? Which one?

brendansullivan07

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 10:39:33 AM »
Pi Mu Epsilon (a math honors society) publishes math-themed acrostics in their issues.

rosemarina

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 12:16:36 PM »
Cool!  Do you know how I could get a copy (with answers! :D) ?

brendansullivan07

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 10:58:15 AM »

rosemarina

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 11:04:36 AM »
Thank you very much. I'll see if I can get a copy.

Russ A

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 01:09:48 AM »
I love acrostics, especially cryptic ones.  I've created a couple of them myself that are used as the basis for geocaches.  If you like you can find them here and here.  I had no special software. I just filled in the grid in a spreadsheet, including numbering by hand, and printed that out, then cut it up into little squares and did multiple anagramming on a felt board that my wife has for jigsaw puzzle storage, then typed the results into a word processor. Finally I did a print screen on each to make the jpgs for uploading to the geocaching.com site.

rosemarina

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 01:21:25 AM »
That's a great idea for geocaching! I tried geocaching once with some expert friends who were visiting, and I enjoyed it.  I'm sure your approach will provide an additional challenge.
I will have to try your puzzle - I also make puns and anagrams puzzles. 
I did receive a recommendation for acrostic software, from E Rice on this list; it is EnigmaCross http://www.crossdown.com/  It's not perfect, but it is way easier then how you do yours, or I did mine.  Plus, you can print the final version as a .pdf so it can be emailed to people.