Forum > Software / Technical

Word lists

(1/2) > >>

peterflynn:
I've heard that serious crossword makers often spend significant time building up a customized word list on the computer for filling in the crossword grid.  So -- do you put serious effort into maintaining a word list?  How do you store your word lists?  Do you just add to the list within your crossword puzzle software, or do you create a separate text file?  If the latter, have you found ways to use your list within the crossword software, supplementing its own built-in list?

Thanks!

- Peter

phil_m99:
Dunno about customized, but for premium membership here you can get a kick-@ss word list that works with ccw, although its in .txt I think so I guess it'll work with anything.

I renamed my existing ccw word list to 'default2', and used the cru one as 'default'.  Then, I dug up an old puz that I had all but abandoned after several hours trying to fill, and it autofilled in 2 seconds.  Paid for itself on the first click of the button, IMO.

Hope this helps.

peterflynn:
That is definitely helpful, thanks.  Since you've already got the premium list and I don't (yet)... is it just a simple text list with a single word per line?  Does it include additional data like word scores?

- Peter

admin:

--- Quote from: peterflynn on June 10, 2009, 03:54:54 PM ---That is definitely helpful, thanks.  Since you've already got the premium list and I don't (yet)... is it just a simple text list with a single word per line?  Does it include additional data like word scores?

- Peter

--- End quote ---

Hi Peter,

The cruciverb word lists just contain the words. People score their words differently, and sometimes with different ranges (1-10,1-100). It's a personal thing, so a bit hard to make it work for everyone.

Still, the lists do work very well. And once you've imported them you can score the words as you see fit.

- Kevin

OneAcross:
Hi, I'm bumping an old topic. I am also looking for *quality* word lists. I am creating my own word database which I plan on distributing for everyone when I am finished which should have features that are not found in other crossword puzzle helpers. But I need to find good word lists. I started with a word list of about 44,800 words but it turned out to be a dud when I checked on the word quality (has ABBREVIATABLE but no ABBREVIATE?). If anyone has the croosword puzzle helper app for the Mac, this is about the level of word quality I am looking for.

So if anyone knows where I can find some GOOD, HOPEFULLY FREE word lists I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version