CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Word lists  (Read 19609 times)

peterflynn

Word lists
« on: June 03, 2009, 03:41:34 PM »
I've heard that serious crossword makers often spend significant time building up a customized word list on the computer for filling in the crossword grid.  So -- do you put serious effort into maintaining a word list?  How do you store your word lists?  Do you just add to the list within your crossword puzzle software, or do you create a separate text file?  If the latter, have you found ways to use your list within the crossword software, supplementing its own built-in list?

Thanks!

- Peter

phil_m99

Re: Word lists
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 06:32:03 PM »
Dunno about customized, but for premium membership here you can get a kick-@ss word list that works with ccw, although its in .txt I think so I guess it'll work with anything.

I renamed my existing ccw word list to 'default2', and used the cru one as 'default'.  Then, I dug up an old puz that I had all but abandoned after several hours trying to fill, and it autofilled in 2 seconds.  Paid for itself on the first click of the button, IMO.

Hope this helps.
"I tell you, we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different." - Kurt Vonnegut

peterflynn

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 03:54:54 PM »
That is definitely helpful, thanks.  Since you've already got the premium list and I don't (yet)... is it just a simple text list with a single word per line?  Does it include additional data like word scores?

- Peter

admin

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 09:10:11 AM »
That is definitely helpful, thanks.  Since you've already got the premium list and I don't (yet)... is it just a simple text list with a single word per line?  Does it include additional data like word scores?

- Peter

Hi Peter,

The cruciverb word lists just contain the words. People score their words differently, and sometimes with different ranges (1-10,1-100). It's a personal thing, so a bit hard to make it work for everyone.

Still, the lists do work very well. And once you've imported them you can score the words as you see fit.

- Kevin

OneAcross

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 09:49:57 AM »
Hi, I'm bumping an old topic. I am also looking for *quality* word lists. I am creating my own word database which I plan on distributing for everyone when I am finished which should have features that are not found in other crossword puzzle helpers. But I need to find good word lists. I started with a word list of about 44,800 words but it turned out to be a dud when I checked on the word quality (has ABBREVIATABLE but no ABBREVIATE?). If anyone has the croosword puzzle helper app for the Mac, this is about the level of word quality I am looking for.

So if anyone knows where I can find some GOOD, HOPEFULLY FREE word lists I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Litefan

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 02:10:56 AM »
So if anyone knows where I can find some GOOD, HOPEFULLY FREE word lists I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

One place to find words is by searching for password dictionaries. 

I took a dictionary from an anagram program and deleted out everything that Word said it didn't know.

Don't limit your searches to *crossword* lists.

RickNovy

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 05:02:12 PM »
Dumb question:  Why not register for cruciverb-l list and post it yourself?  That way you can see the responses.

Matt Skoczen

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 07:06:06 PM »
Not a dumb question, I am a member of C-L. I get all the e-mails and posts. It's just that when I post an e-mail--i.e., send a question--it always appears empty on the other side. I tried again twice this week. It never happened before but within the last year it always does. Yet, individual e-mails to C-L people via the list are readable. I can't figure it out and I am not a computer tech person at all.

Thanks for thinking of me though.

I'm just happy to be back into the swing of things. I missed the fun creating, selling, and solving I did. :)

---Matt
---Matt