Forum > General Discussion

Cluing for the word "GARP"

(1/2) > >>

phil_m99:
I might be pooched on this one.  It's "GARPS", actually.

I'm trying to save "RAILCAR" and "SPACEAGE" on the crosses, and the plural comes from ALLOWS, so that can't be tweaked either.

If I change SPACEAGE to SURCEASE, GARPS morphs into LORUS (largest species of sea gulls), so that's only marginally better imo, plus I've now got the ugliness of SURCEASE to deal with.

The rest of the puz is rock solid (or as near as my ability can get to that state).

Yah I know, I'm pooched ... :(

Eric Maddy:
"Irving protagonist" for GARP.

Doorbell:
Unfortunately, Phil needs a clue for GARPS, not GARP. 

The only idea I've been able to come up with is in the movie The World According to Garp.  There are several actors who played Garp: Williams as the adult Garp; McCall as the young Garp; and Roth as the infant Garp.  You might be able to contrive a clue referring to these different Garps.

But I too really think you are pooched ...

phil_m99:

--- Quote from: Doorbell on May 28, 2009, 10:26:05 AM ---Unfortunately, Phil needs a clue for GARPS, not GARP. 

The only idea I've been able to come up with is in the movie The World According to Garp.  There are several actors who played Garp: Williams as the adult Garp; McCall as the young Garp; and Roth as the infant Garp.  You might be able to contrive a clue referring to these different Garps.

But I too really think you are pooched ...

--- End quote ---

I never thought, during construction, that there isn't another GARP in the world.  You know, "Irving protagonist (as per the other post, thank you) and 1956 US open champ Charlie", or something.  Even that sounds bad ...

I've also since found out that the theme I used has been done about 4 times, so I guess it gets filed under "my mockuments".

Reverend Finch:
Irving protagonist and others = GARPS.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version