magus:
/saks/

:)
Start to sing?   ESS
Date with an MD   APPT
Couple of Couples puns:
Couples with clubs   FRED [a frightening concept]
Couples’s org.   PGA [not sure you need the final -s]

??? Sax   WOODWINDINABAND  [it's all brass (with a reed) so I wonder where the wood went]

:-[ The covert theme took me some time to find; I kept looking at the answers and forgot about the clues.

RATING:   ;D ;D Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = No fun

DrewE:

--- Quote from: magus on November 02, 2011, 09:29:16 AM --- ??? Sax   WOODWINDINABAND  [it's all brass (with a reed) so I wonder where the wood went]

--- End quote ---

Saxes are woodwinds because of the reed; or, possibly more accurately, because they're wind instruments that don't have the cup-shaped mouthpiece of a brass instrument, and thus are not played by buzzing the lips.  Harmonicas—but not glass harmonicas, which are entirely different and unrelated—are likewise classified as woodwinds, when classified at all, despite a complete lack of wood. 

Saxophone fingering is also far more like that of other woodwind instruments than that of common brass instruments.

magus:
Thanks, Drew.

That saxes are reeds I get.  But where's the wood?  Even my ancient harmonica has wood to separate the notes.  Why, if the term wind is a must (though I don't know why it would be) is the class not just called winds? 

Of course, this is of moment to cruciverbalists and "hot air," so to speak, to horn blowers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version