CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Frontside  (Read 6000 times)

mcdermott2

Frontside
« on: September 19, 2011, 09:18:51 PM »
Is FRONTSIDE (a surfing/snowboarding/skateboarding term) common enough for use in a crossword?

SJS

Re: Frontside
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 12:04:51 PM »
I've not heard the term.  If it was clued really evocatively, though, it might be OK.  Solvers sometimes like learning a new term and I could imagine a well-written clue could provide a satisfying learning experience.  Going for you is that FRONTSIDE is a compound word of two common words, so between a good clue and getting a couple of crossing letters, a solver could take an educated guess.

DrewE

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 08:36:48 PM »
I also was unfamiliar with the term, though I'm not a boarder of any sort.  (I guess in college when I lived in a dorm and had a meal plan I was a boarder, but that was some time ago.)

It would seem to me that a clue for FRONTSIDE might be possible in a more generic sense, as well.  Most anything that has a back side should logically also have a front side.

lavicohn

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 09:14:48 PM »
I also was unfamiliar with the term, though I'm not a boarder of any sort.  (I guess in college when I lived in a dorm and had a meal plan I was a boarder, but that was some time ago.)

It would seem to me that a clue for FRONTSIDE might be possible in a more generic sense, as well.  Most anything that has a back side should logically also have a front side.
I'm not also familiar with it, but, well, I think I agree with you...
Yet, looking on the bright side, I think it would be challenging in solving new terms like this.