CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: how do you publish a puzzle to a personal blog?  (Read 11761 times)

ebirnholz

how do you publish a puzzle to a personal blog?
« on: April 13, 2009, 05:37:50 PM »
I understand that the full version of Crossword Compiler allows you to upload puzzles to the web, so that people can view and solve them online.  What I want to know, however, is if it's possible to take the published puzzle and put it into a personal blog.  I don't mean just the puzzle, but the Java applet that allows people to solve it online.

For example, is there a way to put the Java applet for one of my crosswords into MySpace, or Facebook?  I imagine one would need the HTML coding for that to work.

Can a tech-savvy cruciverbalist help me?

Thanks.

ebirnholz

Re: how do you publish a puzzle to a personal blog?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 05:38:35 PM »
By the way, if it helps to know, I have Windows Vista.

ktd

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 01:13:57 AM »
ebirnholz,

I am trying to figure out the same question. Crossword Compiler has two web export functions under "File"-->"Web Export". The first, "Publish to the web...", sends the puzzle into some kind of database page. The applet can apparently be run from there but I don't think you can move it out to a different site. The second option under the same menu, "Export files..." gave me slightly better results, in that it generated the html files to upload to a website of my choosing.

At this point though, I'm stuck--I tried Facebook but couldn't find a way of uploading html files (I don't have MySpace so I don't know if it's the same case over there). There must be a way to upload them on a independent personal blog as opposed to a social networking site, e.g. via Typepad (used by B.E. Quigley) or Blogger, but I haven't looked into it further. If anybody has further advice on this part please do share. I'm also interested to know if anyone has successfully used Facebook as a platform for interactive crosswords; it sounds technically feasible but maybe I just didn't look in the right place.

ktd

David Nikithser

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 12:47:58 PM »
I have a few of my puzzles available on my blog at davidnik.com - it's powered by Wordpress, so I just upload the AcrossLite/Word/PDF files to my web server and create links on my "puzzles" page.

Basically, you need a blog service that allows files that have been uploaded to be accessed as links on the page.

Hope this helps!

siva_thever

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 06:17:38 PM »
You have to construct the puzzle and then find the steps to publish it on web once you are done with it.