CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: New York Sun Crossword  (Read 15974 times)

kimball

New York Sun Crossword
« on: April 13, 2009, 03:19:32 PM »
     I just checked the sign-up web site for those willing to pony up for the NYS puzzles and found that the total number of those willing to pay hasn't really changed much since I signed up some two or three weeks ago.  My question is:  WHAT AM I MISSING?  How is it possible that there are only between 3 and 4 hundred people willing to make this commitment?  I am an Arizonan ex-pat currently living in Toronto, Canada.  I haven't yet completed their tortuous landing process, don't have a work permit and am supporting a family of four on my wife's income only.  Money is in very short supply in our household for the time being, yet, given the opportunity, somehow I'd find the dough to pay for the puzzles.
     I have subscribed to the NYT puzzles for years and will continue to do so, but I sure do miss the Sun.  They were the equal and at times the better of the two puzzles.  So what's the problem?  Is it political snobbery?  Does Peter Gordon have two heads?  Are people too lazy to fill in the sign-up form?  Or, as I expect, are they simply a bunch of no good CHEAPSKATES?  Is there any way we can shame these people who were so very happy to do the puzzles for free, but look the other way as soon as money is mentioned?
     Frustrated regards,
Brad Ross (Kimball)

kimball

Re: New York Sun Crossword
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 10:30:20 AM »
Well, it's been exactly one month since I posted my little rant about the NYS puzzles and I have received, lets see, hmm.... that would be, zero replies.  I can tell I really struck a nerve with all the puzzlers.  Nobody cares?  Is that possible?  Perhaps if BEQ wasn't picking up some of the slack, the situation would be a bit more urgent for folks. Ah well, thanks to Mr. Quigley for his great site.

Kimball

admin

• Administrator
Re: New York Sun Crossword
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 09:16:13 AM »
I appreciate you enthusiasm for the Sun puzzle. But I would not chalk up anything to people being cheapskates. I have to admit that reading that just rubbed me the wrong way. I think that (relatively) few people know about the sign-up, or the Sun puzzle for that matter, as good as it is (was). Personally, I think the only way for the Sun puzzle to survive is to syndicate it to print newspapers. That would likely require a lot of telephone marketing and a rename from Sun to something else.