Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Forgot your password?

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Google Ads

Author Topic: Themes  (Read 2288 times)

« on: April 02, 2009, 07:05:58 PM »
Where can I find a general discussion or tutorial about themes?  What makes a theme?  How much of the puzzle must conform to the theme? etc

Re: Themes
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 12:35:26 AM »

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 04:47:29 PM »
This is a great link, I've printed it out and spend a lot of time reading it. Can you tell me the name of the book this is sourced from??

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 08:28:25 AM »
For general advice on themes, please see the Sage Advice on the left-hand side of the homepage of this site. You'll find two theme articles by Nancy Salomon and one by Roy Leban.

Also, the 21st Century Crossword Dictionary has a Theme Types section in the back. I believe 36 theme types were identified, with examples for each type.

- Kevin

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 04:59:15 AM »
Followed the link, and although I cannot be absolutely positive I would say that this appears to be the first chapter of crosswords for dummies (or something of that nature) I have seen enough DUMMY books to identify the typset and Icons (Finger with string around it). As I was writing this I decided to search and found out the true source of this material. The book can can be purchased from the following link.

Crossword Puzzle Challenges for Dummies (Paperback)
by Patrick Berry (Author)

Hope this helps

BTW - I am new to this and am interested in starting to build some puzzles for publication. I know I can develop interesting themes and clues, but before I spend $190 on crossword compiler how hard is it really to have a puzzle published?