CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Constructor software for the MAC  (Read 15964 times)

jsoldinger

Constructor software for the MAC
« on: April 02, 2009, 11:44:41 AM »
Does anyone know what the best software to use for constructing puzzles on a MAC is?  I have seen a few advertised, but its hard to tell which is the best.

Thanks

jmmp71

Re: Constructor software for the MAC
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 09:05:16 PM »
I've been using a program called Crossfire -- it's very good and not too expensive. Granted, it's the only construction software I've ever used, but being a Mac user myself you can't be too picky.

You can download a trial version here:

http://beekeeperlabs.com/crossfire/index.html

Alex Boisvert

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 01:43:05 AM »
Yes, CrossFire is the best and there is no second place.  It's just as good as the software for Windows, in my opinion.

Kipsie

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 08:42:04 PM »
I'm tinkering with it right now, and so far so good! I used to use Crossword Forge, but it didn't have an extensive dictionary, and manually entering words is virtually impossible. Fortunately, the good folks they are, offered a 30 day refund.

Bear88881

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 10:18:19 AM »
I'm not too impressed with CrossFire, but then I see it was recommended two years ago. I am trying Crossword Compiler Mac (8.1) but if anyone has any better suggestions I would be interested. I'll post back a review of Crossword Compiler once I'v had a chance to get into it...

CarlaAngelM

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 10:11:10 AM »
Yeah right! Crossfire is not quite impressive. I tried it. Hope anyone could share some constructor software for MAC. I've been looking for quite sometime.

0johanne88joh

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 05:42:03 AM »
I'm not impressed with CrossFire too. Any other good recommendation?

zkva1

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 05:20:15 AM »
Thanks for sharing!

ftp

peterflynn

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 05:11:12 AM »
Hi there,

I'll chime in with a plug. ;)  I work on Crossword Studio (http://www.crossword-studio.com/), which is one of the newer constructor programs to become available.  It works on both Mac and Windows.

Crossword Studio is focused on being intuitive, easy to learn, and a boost to your productivity.  For example, right next to the grid Crossword Studio shows a list of words that fit into the selected position, since this is such a key piece of creating a puzzle (in some other programs you must open a separate, temporary popup).  Although it's relatively young, Crossword Studio packs all the essential features: you can auto fill sections of the grid, print and export puzzles, organize theme words, etc.

At any rate -- if you think this software might interest you, I encourage you to download the free trial to check it out.  And we'd love to hear your feedback!

- Peter

LolaGlass

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 11:35:08 AM »
I really want the Crossword Compiler Pro Grid Filler for the Fit Theme Clues feature.

"This feature will take a short list of theme words, then scan all the available grid patterns to find ones where they will fit. You can then view the possible arrangements and choose the one you like best. "

Anyone know of a constructor for mac that has this feature?