CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: LOOK LOCAL/BACK DECAL/Something else  (Read 5776 times)

YankeeHata

LOOK LOCAL/BACK DECAL/Something else
« on: September 13, 2011, 02:02:58 AM »
I had the following in a puzzle I was constructing:
_ _ _ K _ _ C _ L
I penciled in BACK DECAL... but when I got to cluing, I wasn't sure what to do.  A back decal is unquestionably a thing that exists in the world -- plenty of Internet references to front and back decals for people's cell phones and such, but it's a thing that's so specific that cluing the darn thing without being wordy and inelegant.  I thought of maybe "Sticker that a tailgater can read" but would you think a BACK DECAL automatically refers to a rear decal for a car?  I wouldn't.  So I thought to change it.  LOOK LOCAL has some traction out there - sample Google hits are things like "Looking for a luxury getaway? Look local!", "Craft brewers look local for untapped demand", "Sarkozy should think global, look local," "Two big banks look local to sell foreclosures" as well as an iPhone app, some regional business directories, etc..  This could be clued in a non-contrived way, but something is telling me that this phrase isn't *quite* there, unlike, say, BUY LOCAL, which I would use without hesitation.  Thoughts on either of these two phrases?  Ideas for other things that could fit the pattern?  Thanks in advance for your help!
-Ethan

DrewE

Re: LOOK LOCAL/BACK DECAL/Something else
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 10:18:46 PM »
Mercury's track:  ROCK VOCAL  (as in Freddy Mercury, of course)
Advice to a dieter:  PICK LO-CAL