CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Oct. 21 Alan Arbesfeld  (Read 4574 times)

magus

Oct. 21 Alan Arbesfeld
« on: October 21, 2012, 10:28:26 AM »
Theme: Two-word phrases each word of which begins with the next letter of the alphabet --- all 26 letters appear in alphabetical order!

Good Ones:
Rival of Cassio   IAGO [I thought watches, of course]
Odysseus trio, to Homer   SIGMAS [I thought some monster, but shouldn’t the Greek plural be used since it’s “to Homer”?]
Hangs on a line   DRIES [not “the line”]

Who knew?:
UPPERVOLTA is no more, and that it is now Burkina Faso, which sounds like an Olympics female gymnast.

GLENNE Headly was in Dick Tracy, or that there was a GLENNE Headly.  Actually, I’m sad to know that there was a Dick Tracy.

Lisa LOEB sang "Stay."  And I doubt "Stay" is the Maurice Williams rock & roll goodie.

NER Tamid is a synagogue lamp.

By the Way:
To eliminate NER, which I would want to do, I’d change 31-Across to NOR making NER become NOA, which could be read “no A.”  The clue could be “What’s wrong with ‘tht’ but not ‘hat’?”  Or maybe something like "What the mediocre report card had."  Or not.

A few months back I remember YURTS --- didn’t like it then and still don’t.  When and where might Mongolian tents be mentioned --- okay, National Geographic and Smithsonian.  Still don’t like it.

Some Nits to Pick:
Without dissent   ASONEMAN [“to a man” or “as one” are okay --- this is not an idiom and seems an amalgam made up for the occasion]

RATING:   ;D ;D ;D Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 09:42:08 AM by magus »

rbe

Re: Oct. 21 Alan Arbesfeld
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 12:02:13 PM »
I enjoyed this one too. Must have been quite a job to put all the two word phrases is alphabetical order.
Gold compound is AURATE.
Mongolian tent is YURT.

magus

Re: Oct. 21 Alan Arbesfeld
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 09:39:41 AM »
Yes, I know aurate and yurt --- too sloppy --- I'll have to do better.  I do these puzzles in ink and about 60% of the time I have to write over a wrong answer --- sometimes twice.  It can get messy.  I'm better off using the computer because it catches errors, but I'm a bit set in my ways.  When the local paper folds, so to speak, I'll be forced to enter the current century.