CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Two simple questions  (Read 5779 times)

walmarc

Two simple questions
« on: May 18, 2011, 05:51:25 PM »
Hi guys,
I'm new here. And I'm new in crossword creation. And finally, I'm quite new with english language.
So I apologize for errors...

I have a simple question:
In some 8x8, 9x9 and 10x10 grids that  I'm creating for a new crossword game for mobile devices, may I use two-letter words?
And may I use non-symmetric grids?

If I don't do so, considering the dimensions of the grids, I'll be constricted to draft almost always the same grid.

Which of the two 'sins' is the worst?

Thanks to everyone who will answer.
Walter

DrewE

Re: Two simple questions
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 11:07:34 PM »
As a practical matter, since you're the editor of the puzzles you can "get away with" whatever you wish.  There's nobody else to reject your puzzles for not meeting the rules, other than the risk of people not buying or using your game.

I suspect most crossword solvers, and in particular those who do so as a sporadic recreation, don't particularly care about the "rules" of symmetry or word length, but rather are concerned with how fun (and how challenging) the puzzle is to solve.

Of the two, I'd probably be more likely to get rid of symmetry before using two-letter words.  Making interesting clues for two-letter combinations is tough, especially without resorting to abbreviations of some sort.  I'd very definitely avoid one-letter "words" (or their equivalent, non-crossed squares); I'd also attempt to avoid splitting the grid such that two sections are connected by only one word if at all possible.

pompapah

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 12:08:45 PM »
the first reply to this question is well taken,
As a novice crossword buff, I'd suggest spending energy trying to find the market based on how hard or easy the puzzle is. Of course the market will be varied, but I think that the inherent research will determine the answers to these and other questions that will arise

helen21stc

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 11:50:53 AM »
Hi,
I personally don't see anything wrong with using 2 or 3 letter words - there's plenty of them if you get a Scrabble dictionary and some are so obscure that even simple clues might get people stuck if one of the letters is in a 'blind' position.
e.g. Clue: A small island (3) Letters so far:  _it
Answer = ait  "A small island" is literally the dictionary definition of the word, not that it helps much.
Helen