CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Fair Expectations  (Read 5823 times)

mercyscene

Fair Expectations
« on: March 21, 2011, 07:04:04 AM »
What are a few fair expectations for constructing a themed puzzle?  I have an idea for a set of 17x17 puzzles where lines 3, 6, 12, and 15 (or thereabouts) will have 14-17 letter theme entries and line 9 will have the name of the restaurant, centered.  The first puzzle has 77 letters in the theme entries (counting the name).  My goal is to make each puzzle accessible to those who would enjoy a puzzle but don't hold a degree in crosswordese.  Is it ambitious to think that I can reach my goal without all of the other entries being limited to 3 or 4 letters?

mercyscene

Re: Fair Expectations
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 03:39:57 PM »
I have since redrafted a few times and I now have a 17 x 17 with 49 blocks and only the four 17-letter theme entries that I am working on....

mkA654

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 06:11:52 AM »
From an interview with Harvey Estes and how he finds his themes: Watching TV, reading the paper, making small talk, you never know when a phrase will stick in the mind and start tugging at you, whispering, "There's a theme here, there's a theme here ..." The trick is to find the places and situations that help your mind to become receptive to new ideas.

angrylittlebird

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 08:18:06 AM »
I agree, gather inspiration from everywhere, go for a walk, take public transport to work, or anything you observe in life because life is beautiful :)

mercyscene

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 02:14:32 PM »
I have five sets of themes already lined up.  The problem is knowing how to organize the grid around them in a realistic way.