CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Theme ideas for begginers  (Read 20278 times)

jskonie

Theme ideas for begginers
« on: February 20, 2011, 07:05:17 PM »
Hi all,

I'm an avid crossword solver looking to starting create some puzzles of my own. Any tips for a beginner as far as coming up with theme ideas? It seems like the most effective themes are based around puns, but is this necessarily the case or are there simpler theme ideas to start with? I take it that this is something that comes with experience, so I'm just looking for a place to start. Thanks for your help!

sunburnt63

Re: Theme ideas for begginers
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 02:30:47 AM »
You definitely get a better grasp of themes as you progress. I started making crosswords less than a year ago, and I am still figuring some of this stuff out. What I did (and not entirely recommended) was to dive right into making a crossword to see if I could do it. Unfortunately, I made some reasonably bad themes and had to wait months to receive a rejection. I think the best themes are ones that you would enjoy as a solver, so if you have been a solver for a while, look over some of the puzzles on this site or xwordinfo.com to see what theme ideas you like.

Something I have been trying to do to increase my knowledge of themes is to see what the theme is in that days NYT, and see if I can come up with a similar one. For example, the other day I saw a puzzle where every theme answer started with a synonym of common (usual, standard, etc.), so I tried to emulate that, but with a different word to base the synonyms off of.

Read up on themes where you can, and if you are not already a member of the cruciverb mailing list, I recommend you join that too, since you can get a lot more feedback quickly than through this forum.

Hope I was helpful and not just rambling on. Good luck in your efforts!

-Jeff

admin

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 09:28:17 AM »
Please see the following page:

http://www.cruciverb.com/index.php?action=ezportal;sa=page;p=70

This list of theme types was put together by Mark Diehl and is available in our crossword dictionary:

http://www.amazon.com/21st-Century-Crossword-Puzzle-Dictionary/dp/140272134X

- Kevin

mercyscene

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 03:48:03 AM »
Patrick Berry offers an excellent examination of themes and construction in general in his book "Crossword Puzzle Challenges for Dummies."

mokakan

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 10:42:06 AM »
Thanks for posting this thread! There are great points that I would’ve never thought of.

markowiczko

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 03:38:38 PM »
I was wondering about similar thing. Any update on this thread and how your puzzle development is coming along?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
markowiczko

eddz1949

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 10:32:37 AM »
That was a great themes.. Thanks for the tips!

PuzzledPiece

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 11:23:33 AM »
When I started out I focused on geography. Its a theme where you just cant fail - just too many (weird) places in the world!  ;D Seriously, as a newbie I would try to think of a very broad theme that can supply you with plenty of leeway and loop holes. Later on you can narrow it down and make it more difficult. Mind you though, I still seem to be stuck at beginner level!  :D

raulf145

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 11:37:13 AM »
These tips really helped me to start of for me. Very helpful. :)

BillyNudgell

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 06:59:12 PM »
I found it quite interesting to read in this thread that so many people love SOLVING puzzles but find it difficult to CREATE them.  Generally, do you think that people who solve things (analysis) are not good at creating things (synthesis)?

Sorry, I know I am off topic but couldn't resist the opportunity to post her.  Happy to move it if necessary.

MedicalAllan

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 01:44:17 AM »
You can also use online crossword puzzle dictionary to find those pesky missing words. Now you can solve all your crossword  puzzles!...but mind it you should your own after go for it..it is just a substitute..nothing else..

jaroto

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 09:43:36 AM »
nice theme tips for beginner.nice thread

pupu1

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 12:59:39 PM »
Patrick Berry offers an excellent examination of themes and construction in general in his book "Crossword Puzzle Challenges for Dummies."

peterpeters

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 08:20:40 AM »
hey lskoni,

I am sure you improved after these tips. Can you publish an example of a puzzle made by yourself?

jimmubals

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2011, 11:58:40 AM »
Thanks for posting nice thread. Tips u have given here are useful  to me.