CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: LAT Thu. 9/13 Gary Lowe  (Read 5291 times)

magus

LAT Thu. 9/13 Gary Lowe
« on: September 13, 2012, 08:48:57 AM »
Possible Title: “Toying With Us”

Theme: two-word phrases the first word of which can follow POP and the second word of which can follow GUN, and together the two words make POP GUN.

Good Ones:
With 40-Across, kids toy {theme}    POP and, adjacent in the grid, GUN
Shark attack victim?   JET [Sharks and Jets were warring gangs in West Side Story]
Birds do it   LAYEGGS [from the Cole Porter song, “Let’s Do It,” which if you don’t know, Google it and laugh]  :)
(I also enjoyed the interesting cluing throughout.)

By the Way:
Gary must be a baseball fan; there are five references to the game.

“Deadwood” channel   HBO [an apt name for most of the offerings on the channel, including that show]

RATING:   ;D ;D ;D Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun

phil_m99

Re: LAT Thu. 9/13 Gary Lowe
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 09:59:42 PM »
Possible Title: “Toying With Us”

Theme: two-word phrases the first word of which can follow POP and the second word of which can follow GUN, and together the two words make POP GUN.

Good Ones:
With 40-Across, kids toy {theme}    POP and, adjacent in the grid, GUN
Shark attack victim?   JET [Sharks and Jets were warring gangs in West Side Story]
Birds do it   LAYEGGS [from the Cole Porter song, “Let’s Do It,” which if you don’t know, Google it and laugh]  :)
(I also enjoyed the interesting cluing throughout.)

By the Way:
Gary must be a baseball fan; there are five references to the game.

“Deadwood” channel   HBO [an apt name for most of the offerings on the channel, including that show]

RATING:   ;D ;D ;D Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun
Thanks ,magus - no I'm not so much a baseball fan, I really didn't notice how much was in the puzzle until I read comments.   BTW pop single is not a basball term, it's music industry (this from another board).  Keep up the good work.
"I tell you, we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different." - Kurt Vonnegut

magus

Re: LAT Thu. 9/13 Gary Lowe
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 09:56:11 AM »
For what it's worth, "pop single" is a baseball term as well as a music term.  A softly hit ball that lands between the infielders and outfielders is often referred to as a pop single.  It's also at times called a Texas League single.