CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Grid generator  (Read 6482 times)

dalums

Grid generator
« on: August 30, 2012, 05:12:15 AM »
Can anyone recommend an online - or application - grid generator? I'm thinking of a program that would allow one to input grid parameters (number of words, lengths of words, number of letters, etc.) and then create conforming blank 15x15 grids.

Mel Rosen

Re: Grid generator
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 11:21:03 AM »
Crossword Compiler for Windows (CCWin) has a feature that might help. (Might be in the CCWin Pro version, not the basic version.) It consists of an expandable library of empty grids. When you start a new puzzle the program shows a panel asking what type of puzzle ... cryptic, "American," Sudoku, shape, etc. If you select "American" and then "15x15" you will see a list of grid parameters on the left with the highlighted one shown in a preview pane. The "Grid Library" pull-down offers sorting-display options, including "number of words and blocks" and "sorted by word lengths." Additionally, you can supply a list of theme entries and CCWin will show you the library grids that can accommodate those entries. Hope this helps.
-Mel

dalums

Re: Grid generator
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 04:26:03 PM »
Mel-
Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately (at least in this case), I'm on a Mac, using Crossfire. The app is not bad, but it doesn't seem to have a comparable grid generator, and I haven't had any response to two customer support queries. I was hoping to find a Mac-friendly standalone. I suppose I could go to CC, using Parallels Desktop.