CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Entry opinion  (Read 8555 times)

slafaive

Entry opinion
« on: July 20, 2012, 10:05:05 PM »
Would you consider the following entry (even if clued well) too obscure for most puzzles? ANGELICAPICKLES

She's a prominent character on Rug Rats.

AlexBajcz

Re: Entry opinion
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 02:28:08 AM »
Soooo, I would have been able to tell you who she was. But I'm fairly young, and I used to watch that show an awful lot when I was a kid. Keeping in mind your target audience, I would say she's too obscure.

slafaive

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 01:20:29 PM »
That's what I was afraid of. But then again, I do puzzles in the NYT and USA Today, and whenever they have entries pertaining to opera or classical arts, I always feel those are too obscure for me.

uneequeone

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 01:46:09 AM »
do not be quick to judge...i watched Rugrats through my 20s.  it was a popular show and i knew Pickles right away.  besides, parents who watch TV with their kids would know, too.  use the answer.

VB

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 09:38:19 AM »
I never watched the show and wouldn't know her from Angelica Huston, but I would think that it's okay as long as (1) it's crossed well, and (2) it's part of a good theme. Angelica is a guessable name, but Pickles is not without the theme or crosses to help me.  That is, unless the theme were something where "pickles" was important, if the P were crossed with ?ANDO "Tree also known as the trembling giant," I would have no way to know whether her name was Pickles, Rickles, Nickles, etc. (except maybe to guess that a kids show would use Pickles as a name because pickles are funny).  Of course, I'm not the editor, but as a solver, that's where I'd come down.

Cheers,
- VB

mikimiha

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 09:41:54 AM »
I don't like that show, so I cannot say something more!