CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Rebus  (Read 5622 times)

jrob

Rebus
« on: May 28, 2012, 12:36:26 PM »
I just got a NYT rejection on a puzzle that is somewhat of a rebus theme. Four blocks contain punctuation marks rather than letters.I'd like to try another publisher but most do not seem to desire any puzzle without a letter in each square.
Any suggestions?

ebirnholz

Re: Rebus
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 10:58:22 AM »
FYI, a rebus using punctuation was published in the NYT more than five years ago, so it's possible that they rejected it on that basis alone.  My feeling is that with rebus puzzles, you have to try something that they've never done before because a) the NYT is one of the very few publications that actually uses them and b) they use them somewhat infrequently (i.e. usually only on Thursdays and maybe the occasional Sunday, and even then, they don't use them on most Thursdays).

As for other publishers, I'm not aware of others who accept outside submissions that include rebus grids.  But if you happen to be under the age of 30, you could try submitting it to Ben Tausig's "Twenty Under Thirty" app.  Read more about it here.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 08:29:17 PM by ebirnholz »