CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Issues downloading puzzles  (Read 23972 times)

tbone

Issues downloading puzzles
« on: January 07, 2011, 07:48:08 AM »
I've been having some issues opening and downloading some of the puzzles recently.  Specifically, if I try to open the LAT, CrossSynergy, WSJ, or Chronicle of Higher Education puzzles directly instead of opening the puzzles in AcrossLite it actually opens a new webpage with a bunch of text on it.  If I click Save As then I get a popup message that says, "The name '<<puzzlename>>' appears to have an extension.  Do you want to append ".txt" to the name?

Has anyone else experienced this?  Any suggestions for how to correct the issue?

For what it's worth I am using a MacBook Pro 10.6.5 and Safari 5.0.3.

Thanks,
Tom 

tbone

Re: Issues downloading puzzles
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 08:22:17 AM »
In case this happens to anyone else I switched to Firefox and was able to download all the puzzles OK. 

Bill

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 04:59:50 PM »
I am no longer able to download the CrossSynergy puzzles. I get a 404 page not found error message. The last puzzle that I was able to get was Mar25. I am using Internet Explorer version 8.0.6001.187021C. Is this problem being addressed or is it unique to me?

Thank you for any help you may provide.

Bill

Filer

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 08:37:57 PM »
On a Macintosh you may get the text which is "raw" Across Lite code. Eliminate the .txt portion and save as .puz. When you get the dialog box asking if you wish to append the .txt just select "don't append" and it will download to the location of your choice.  This has been happening to the LA Times now for quite awhile.  Filer

tschelat

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 12:03:06 PM »
Bill, you aren't the only one.  Cross Synergy has been returning a 404 error for me since Mar 26, too.

Spitzmaus

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 06:57:43 PM »
Bill, you aren't the only one.  Cross Synergy has been returning a 404 error for me since Mar 26, too.

Ditto me for Cross Synergy too. For a few days after I began getting the 404 error message I was able to "right-click-save-as" a .puz file [Across Lite] directly from the Washington Post site. Not so now. The two options left are either solving online w/ the Java applet or printing out a hard copy. I find both unsatisfactory; I prefer working the puzzles offline in Across Lite.

FWIW, I'm using Firefox 4.0.

michaele

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 06:13:06 AM »
In case this happens to anyone else I switched to Firefox and was able to download all the puzzles OK.

Filer

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 12:36:08 PM »
Should you get the text vice the Across Lite rendering of a puzzle you can save the "raw" puzzle without allowing the ".txt" to be added and you will get an Across Lite file that will result in a ".puz" flie that Across Lite will open in a normal rendering.

I am a Macintosh user and on a Mac you "Save as" and in the dialog box delete the ".txt" leaving the "puzzle.puz" and then "Save". In the next dialog box check "don't append .txt". The puzzle downloads in the correct format.

Bill Albert

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 03:38:08 AM »
I can download the puzzles, but I do not know how to open them. Windows does not know how to open files ending in .puz

Sam Salo

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 04:02:29 AM »
The program windows publisher is normally used to open .puz files. However you can download the necessary files from the New York times web site. Google "Across Lite " and New York Times and you should be able to find the link. Enjoy your puzzles.

fritzy

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 12:48:39 PM »
If you want the step-by-step instructions for downloading and installing the Across Lite program, here is the link:
http://www.nytimes.com/content/help/games/acrosslite/acrosslite.html

Spitzmaus

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 11:39:50 AM »
I've had Across Lite installed for years, so that's not the problem. My issue continues to be with CrossSynergy. This is what I get when I click its link here on Cruciverb: A blank page with :áACROSS&DOWN�ÚK´›`»G1.2c��������5‘|>‘|L��� at the top. I'm running Firefox. Any ideas???

Spitz

jkovats

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 07:21:25 PM »
Firefox usually does what Internet Explorer can't.  I can't speak for Chrome or safari.

tbone

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2011, 08:11:26 AM »
I've had Across Lite installed for years, so that's not the problem. My issue continues to be with CrossSynergy. This is what I get when I click its link here on Cruciverb: A blank page with :áACROSS&DOWN�ÚK´›`»G1.2c��������5‘|>‘|L��� at the top. I'm running Firefox. Any ideas???

Spitz

The same thing was happening to me.  In order to successfully download the CrossSynergy puzzle using Firefox I right click the link, select Save Link As, then in the dialog box Save As field change it from Text File to All Files. That should do it.

Spitzmaus

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2011, 05:44:04 PM »

[/quote]

The same thing was happening to me.  In order to successfully download the CrossSynergy puzzle using Firefox I right click the link, select Save Link As, then in the dialog box Save As field change it from Text File to All Files. That should do it.
[/quote]

Woot! That did the trick; I Saved As a .puz file and now I'm in business. Thank you!!!

Spitz