CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Layout question  (Read 3529 times)

kwanjul

Layout question
« on: October 22, 2018, 01:12:24 PM »
Layout question here. Is it acceptable to have a theme entry in 1A? I'm working on constructing a puzzle that has a 15-letter revealer across the middle and 6 themers. So there would be themers in rows 1, 3, 5, 11, 13, and 15. For rows 1 and 15, is the NW/SE combo preferable to the NE/SW combo? Or do editors not really care here?

mmcbs

Re: Layout question
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 01:18:27 PM »
I'd say it's acceptable to have a theme entry in row 1, as long as you're not working with an editor who insists the theme entries be the longest ones in the puzzle (because at least two entries below the one in 1A will have to be the same length). I'd rather see the themer in the NW, but if that poses a problem fill-wise, you should be able to have it in the NE.
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/

kwanjul

Re: Layout question
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 01:24:40 PM »
Mark,

Thanks for your reply. FWIW, my themer lengths are 6, 8, 10, 15-revealer, 10, 8, and 6. So I'll have plenty of options for laying out my puzzle as my theme entries will not be in any particular order. But the revealer will reference the other 6 entries.