CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Quick query regarding Crossword Compiler (Windows 7)  (Read 11311 times)

orinkh

Quick query regarding Crossword Compiler (Windows 7)
« on: June 12, 2018, 02:18:23 PM »
I'm evaluating several software packages in their demo versions now to decide which to buy. A problem I have with CC is that it often hangs when I attempt to fill: hourglass icon persists, program accepts no commands, and I have to kill it manually (which sometimes results in several access violation errors). Is this a peculiar problem with CC, CC on Windows 7, or just a problem of the demo version? Many thanks.

mmcbs

Re: Quick query regarding Crossword Compiler (Windows 7)
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 02:28:07 PM »
I suspect the demo version, which I believe is not a very robust filler, though it shouldn't hang and require you to kill the program on a regular basis. I am running CC version 10 professional, and almost never have any problems. On  very rare occasions, it has hung up as you described, but I have constructed hundreds of puzzles and this maybe happened a dozen times. These situations could not be replicated. I have never tried another crossword constructor program, and as far as I know the vast majority of constructors use CC (esp. those with Windows).

To get the best performance you need the "professional grid filler" enhancement, which pays for itself when you sell a puzzle.

BTW, don't hesitate to ask the developer info@crossword-compiler.com. He is very responsive.
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/

orinkh

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 05:51:13 PM »
Thank you, Mark!

nickb

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 05:04:56 PM »
I'm probably too late to help, but I paid for the regular version of CC and had the same problem. Had to do a hard shutdown a couple of times in a row. There are other glitches as well. I suspect the only way to get it to fully work is to buy the professional grid filler; however, it still happened just not as often. Again, probably too late, but thought I'd share my experience just in case you haven't bought one yet. Best of luck!

andrewtiwsan

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 09:58:43 AM »
Yeah thanks mmcbs for help.