User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Google Ads

Author Topic: Quick query regarding Crossword Compiler (Windows 7)  (Read 131 times)

orinkh

Quick query regarding Crossword Compiler (Windows 7)
« on: June 12, 2018, 02:18:23 PM »
I'm evaluating several software packages in their demo versions now to decide which to buy. A problem I have with CC is that it often hangs when I attempt to fill: hourglass icon persists, program accepts no commands, and I have to kill it manually (which sometimes results in several access violation errors). Is this a peculiar problem with CC, CC on Windows 7, or just a problem of the demo version? Many thanks.

mmcbs

Re: Quick query regarding Crossword Compiler (Windows 7)
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 02:28:07 PM »
I suspect the demo version, which I believe is not a very robust filler, though it shouldn't hang and require you to kill the program on a regular basis. I am running CC version 10 professional, and almost never have any problems. On  very rare occasions, it has hung up as you described, but I have constructed hundreds of puzzles and this maybe happened a dozen times. These situations could not be replicated. I have never tried another crossword constructor program, and as far as I know the vast majority of constructors use CC (esp. those with Windows).

To get the best performance you need the "professional grid filler" enhancement, which pays for itself when you sell a puzzle.

BTW, don't hesitate to ask the developer info@crossword-compiler.com. He is very responsive.
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/

orinkh

Re: Quick query regarding Crossword Compiler (Windows 7)
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 05:51:13 PM »
Thank you, Mark!