CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Printing word lists from CC  (Read 6970 times)

TamaraSJ

Printing word lists from CC
« on: April 20, 2018, 01:15:53 PM »
Hi! I'm new to Crossword Compiler and to this forum. I'm also not tech-savvy!

I've written several puzzles and would like to make an alphabetical list of the words I have used (trying to avoid excessive repetition), and maybe create my own words list. When I click on "Words" and then "Words and Word Statistics" for a particular puzzle, I get a list of the words used, but there's no means of printing that out, and I don't know how to create a personal words list. I'm sure there's something I'm missing! I would be grateful for any help you can provide.

mmcbs

Re: Printing word lists from CC
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 01:26:41 PM »
There is a feature under the Words menu that you can use to reduce the point score of words used in this puzzle. So if you reduce them by 1 point, you'll see that your next grid when the word shows up as a possible. I did this for a while, but after you've done a lot of puzzles some of the common words get dropped down quite a bit. You can fix this by the word list manager in which you can change all the words with a particular score to some other score.

BTW, I don't use these devices; I find that after you've built a lot of puzzles you get a pretty good feel for what words you've used quite a bit and can avoid them if desired.

Another thing you can do that is similar but relates to clues is that you can add the clues you've used in a particular puzzle to the clue database (adding a date and puzzle details if desired), then when you clue those words next time you can choose the same clue or a different one, whichever makes more sense.
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/

TamaraSJ

Re: Printing word lists from CC
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 04:31:19 PM »
Thank you for your reply. I take your point -- there is no substitute for time and experience! I will look into enhancing the clue database as you suggest. Thanks again.