CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Revealers  (Read 4224 times)

atco418

Revealers
« on: November 16, 2017, 05:57:05 PM »
I probably work a little too hard to get as many theme squares into a puzzle as it can handle.  I often have to remind myself that less is more.  But what about the revealer?  If I have a theme with three 10-letter entries and one 10-letter revealer, do I have 40 theme squares?  If not, should I work on extending my themers or tossing in another for good measure, or is 30 enough (which I suppose may depend on the puzzle)?

Thoughts?

mmcbs

Re: Revealers
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 09:21:39 PM »
The reveal entry should be considered part of the theme. In my opinions, a higher number of theme letters can be good, but not at the expense of quality of the fill. Not everyone will agree. I've often been told that a puzzle had a very nice fill, and that compliment has never been followed by " . . . but there weren't enough theme letters". It's also a matter of the quality of the theme entries - adding an extra themer can be a bad thing if it's not as good as the others. Again, my opinion - not everyone will agree.
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/