CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Recommendations for crossword software on Mac  (Read 16118 times)

JTGolden

Recommendations for crossword software on Mac
« on: September 27, 2017, 12:21:17 PM »
Hi, I've been using Crossword Editor on Mac, which is perfectly fine (not amazing) for construction, but difficult to export with. Does anyone have a Mac software they love? Or do you have tips on using Crossword Editor?

Thanks in advance!

4wd

Re: Recommendations for crossword software on Mac
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 01:09:41 PM »
I recommend Crossfire it's brilliant, plus you can take a look at the software page for other options http://www.cruciverb.com/index.php?action=ezportal;sa=page;p=20
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 01:11:43 PM by 4wd »

JTGolden

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 05:10:21 PM »
I was thinking about that one. Do you know if a purchase means you can use the app on multiple devices, or is it one purchase for one device? (I sent the same question to the developer but haven't heard back.)

4wd

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 06:53:48 PM »
Yup, you can, I've got it installed on two PCs haven't had any issues. Plus its a lifetime license :)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 06:55:57 PM by 4wd »

JTGolden

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 10:37:52 PM »
Great, thanks for the info!

4wd

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 04:15:00 PM »
no problem :)

JTGolden

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 01:29:20 PM »
I'm so frustrated! I have tried several times to download Crossfire to my Mac (OS 10.10.5) and it keeps saying it's successful but then the program isn't in my applications. I am willing to pay the $50 but only if I know it will work. Also, I can't get anyone at Beekeeper to respond to my emails.

I'm open to other Crossword apps for Mac but there just doesn't seem to be much out there. Hoping someone here has overcome a similar issue and can give advice.

Crossword Express

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 11:13:52 PM »
I am the author of a program called Crossword Express (CWE). It is a Java program which means that it will run equally well on Windows, Linux and Mac OS. You can create puzzles manually or automatically, or you can preset certain themed words, and allow CWE to complete the construction process. A wide range of output options is available including the ability to print a submission document according to NYT specifications.

CWE does much more than make crosswords. It can create Acrostics, Word-search, Sudoku, Killer Sudoku, and Minesweeper puzzles plus a number of lesser known puzzles, some 28 puzzle types in all.

Web-Apps can be exported by CWE to permit the publishing of interactive Crosswords and Sudokus on the 'net. Numerous additional Web-Apps are planned for the future.

It is distributed as Freeware which means that you are not obliged to pay for it, although contributions would naturally be welcome.

I would be happy to receive suggestions for program enhancements which would make the program even more suitable for puzzle developers.

JTGolden

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 09:10:32 PM »
Crossword Express is an amazing program — thank you!

XWordHobbyist

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2017, 10:10:25 AM »
If you'd like a program you don't have to download at all, check out Crossword Hobbyist! Not only can you save as you go and access your puzzles from any computer, you can easily print or share your puzzle online. Let us know if you have any questions!

https://www.crosswordhobbyist.com